Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Wanted: Pastors

Not too many years ago I recall that the Seminaries were on the prowl for students. The pitch was that the Church needed pastors (doesn't the Church always need pastors?). And so, both our Seminaries were trying to enlarge their student body by promising future pastors certain employment. But now things have changed. Oh, we still need pastors, the Church desperately needs pastors. But now, some congregations don't have the money to pay pastors. So, some of the pastors who were promised positions in the pulpits by the Seminaries are now told by their congregations that the money has run out to pay for their pastors. What is a pastor to do? Look for some type of employment outside of the Church to supplement his income. I spoke recently with a pastor who is in the very situation I just described. What will he do? He doesn't know, neither do I. But I do know this: I will pray for this pastor and other pastors who are in the same boat that he is. And I hope, I pray, that the Church will do better by its pastors, by not promising future pastors a job when they graduate from the Seminary. The Church owes its pastors support, and the Church owes students who wish to be pastors the truth that there is no guarantee of a job once one becomes a pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment